Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Things I want to do before my lease ends

At first I was going to make the title of this post "Things I want to do before I leave Philadelphia," but that is something I really don't want to do (leave Philly, that is).  I have a job interview for a position at a school in Philly on Thursday, so I'm trying to remain optimistic about that!  I'm really interested in this position and I hope everything goes well.  I've only interviewed for a handful of jobs before, only one of them being a professional position.  I ended up getting hired, which is why I don't have a lot of interview experience.  And the last thing I want to do during the next few months is become a professional interviewer!

Anyway, I realized that I really need to make the most of the next 5 weeks since they could be the last I have in Philadelphia.  Although this might seem like the most random list of activities that ever existed, I decided to share it for those of you who are currently in Philly or planning to move here at some point!

1)  Rittenhouse Row Spring Festival:  May 3rd, 2014, 18th Street and Walnut Street
http://www.visitphilly.com/events/philadelphia/rittenhouse-row-spring-festival/

I'm probably displaying some extreme wishful thinking as I look into attending this since it's right before my final exams are due, but it could be a fun way to get out of the apartment for a few hours!  Rittenhouse is a really nice area of Philadelphia, and this spring festival includes food, fashion, arts, and entertainment.  I love all of those things, and in that exact order.

2)  Flavors of the Avenue:  April 26th, 2014, Passyunk
http://www.visitphilly.com/events/philadelphia/flavors-of-the-avenue/ 

I've actually never been to Passyunk, which is a neighborhood slightly outside of Philadelphia.  This event includes samples from 28 restaurants in the neighborhood.  Admission to the food tent is $30, but I'm assuming that includes unlimited samples.  It reminds me of going to the sample booths at Costco and SAM's Club and BJ's all in one Saturday, which is very appealing.  Plus the food is probably better since it's from local restaurants and breweries.

3)  Spring Blooms at Longwood Gardens:  April 5th-April 23rd, Kennett Square, PA
http://www.visitphilly.com/events/philadelphia/spring-blooms-at-longwood-gardens/

It looks like this specific event ends tomorrow, but Longwood Gardens in general is beautiful.  I went in the winter to see the Christmas lights, but I'm sure it's even more enjoyable in the spring.  It's about a 50-minute drive from Philadelphia and it's very peaceful.  Just make sure you bring your allergy medicine!  Seasonal allergies are the only downside of spring.

4)  BRUNCH!:  Weekend mornings, everywhere
http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/best-brunch-spots-in-philadelphia

I've been to some of these places, although not necessarily for brunch, and I'm getting hungry just reading about their menus.  Brunch is the best meal of the weekend, and it tends to be even better when you can sit outside.  And it's a much better reason to wake up early on the weekends than having to write papers and study.

5)  Rooftop Happy Hour(s):  After 5 PM on weekdays, rooftops
http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/top-rooftop-bars-in-philadelphia/

I usually choose happy hour locations for the food and not the drink, but the opportunity to sit on a rooftop and chat with friends outdoors is even better.  I'd recommend looking at the menus at these places and choosing accordingly! 

I also just realized that all of these activities involve being outdoors.  So, fingers crossed that we do not have a rainy spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment